Having an irritation or pain in your eye can be difficult and distracting. Instead of trying to wait it out or using over-the-counter remedies, you can visit us at F & M Family Eyecare in Riverdale, GA. Conditions like pink eye, for example, may be helped by getting a professional consultation early on, you might deal with less pain and suffering and heal up faster.
What Is Pink Eye?
Pink eye, also known as conjunctivitis, is an inflammation or infection of the conjunctiva, the membrane covering the eye's white part and the eyelids' inside. The condition is characterized by redness, itching, and discharge in one or both eyes.
Bacteria, viruses, allergies, or irritants can cause pink eye. It can be contagious highly contagious so be careful who you might spread it to.
3 Signs You Have Contracted Pink Eye
There are clear indications that you have contracted conjunctivitis, including:
- Redness in the whites of one or both eyes
- Itching or burning sensation
- Discharge or crusting around the eyelashes, especially in the morning. This discharge can be clear, white, yellow, or green.
You call an eye doctor for an exam right away if you have any of these symptoms.
When You May Want to Call an Eye Doctor
You don't want to make an unnecessary appointment with a medical professional. So, to make things more comprehendible, take a look at the top indications that you should reach out:
- Your symptoms are severe, persistent, or accompanied by pain or vision changes.
- Symptoms are not improving or worsen after a few days of home treatment.
- You have a weakened immune system or other underlying health condition that puts you at risk for complications.
- You have a fever or other signs of a severe infection.
- You have had pink eye before and suspect that you may have a recurrent infection.
- Sensitivity to light or blurred vision affects your daily activities.
- You have an eye injury or other eye problem that might be related to your pink eye.
- You have tried over-the-counter treatments, which don't seem to work.
It is important to note that different pathogens can cause pink eye. Some of them, like bacterial infections, may be helped specific treatment with antibiotics, which can be prescribed by a medical professional.
Reach Out to Our Eye Doctor in Riverdale, GA
At F & M Family Eyecare, we can help make your eye conditions more manageable, especially when dealing with something such as conjunctivitis. If you think you have contracted an infection, we're here to take your call at (770) 996-3495.